The mountain
I grasp onto the bark of a angleman spruce, the most majestic of all the trees here. It shoots up into the sky, higher than all the others. It has a scaley bark, which falls away at the touch revealing a very red shade of it's secondary xylem. It is one of the climax species, along with the sub-albine fir, that dominates this area. However, there is a far rarer tree just above.
I struggle a little to reach it over the moss and lichen-covered rocks that date to 2+ billion years, just enough snow on them to keep me from fully being secure in my footing. Soon I can see it just ahead. It grows from a craggy rock. There are many of them here, they've overtaken this area. The limber pine is a different sort of tree. It cannot compete with the far more agile ones below. However, it has one trick that the others lack. It can survive in the worst types of soil here. The center tree stems directly from a rock, waving lightly at the trees below in the wind.
I stand next to it and look down, on this lonely summit the world is quite beautiful.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home