My Photo
Name:
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, United States

You write to breathe, for the air is too thin to hold words. You hide in false memories because reality is for to compromising. You dream to see, and speak to hear. There is no independent variable, just writing that feeds itself, always drowning. You stare down at your bleeding hand, sitting on a rock billions of years old, surrounded by trees and snow. The wind howles through evergreens, in your mind you can imagine the chirping of woodland animals had they not gone extinct. You watch the sun dip beneath the skeletons of deciduous trees, and your shadow casts across the lichen. This is neither empty nor full, it is. The hum of the interstate lies just over the next rock, you can hear it echo, reminding you that this place has been touched.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

1071 at the end

So, I haven't posted in forever, but for good reason. I've been working on a petition with fellow Dems in Laramie against House Resolution 609. This nasty bit of legislation would have introduced a variable student loan interest rate that had the potential of costing millions of students thousands of dollars each school year. It's now part of a larger set of budgetary cuts that are currently a hot topic this comming week. We've got 1071 signatures on the petitions, representing 11.5% or so of the Undergraduate population of UW. The petition is 42 pages long, representing 3 weeks worth of bugging people in and outside of class.

I got copies faxed to Senator Mike Enzi and Representative Barbara Cubin, costing me a little over $45 - I hope it's money well spent. Enzi is chair of the Education, Labor, and Pension committee for the Senate and - in a rare turn of events - Cubin could be a critical vote in the House. Currently all Dems are suppose to vote against new budgetary cuts, 202 of them in all. If that proves true, 13 Republican votes are all that stand in the way of it's passage. As such, in both the House and the Senate, Wyoming citizens have a grossly disproportionate influence on these budgetary votes. My fingers are crossed that they will listen. Enzi will - he's proven his willingness to listen in the past. I'm very hesitent about Cubin, perhaps pushing a calling campaign for next week will help.

In my non-H.R. 609 life, I've επεπαιδεθμαι 'Ελλην πολυν τω βιβλω. I'm enjoying the progress so far, I'm currently translating Lysistrata and Herodotus' 6th history. My archaeology research is going well, I spend weekends alone in the Arch. lab playing audiobooks and counting the hinge vs. step fractured flakes on the dorsal sections of larger flakes. Wee.

Oh, and interesting news. Last night durring our statistics test, I was stressing completley. I was working on the binomial equation when all of a sudden BRRRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG! The fire alarm went off. The room was evacuated, and the test cancelled. Upon checking my test, which had been finished, I had done all the math correctly, kind of a shame. But stats are going well, so is physics. I never thought I would do well in math classes, in physics I have one of the highest grades in the class (more than 100% on both tests so far). My fingers are crossed for the next.

Anyway, more tests next week, more papers, and the House vote. I would say I can't wait for this semester to end, but I have a sneaking suspicion that another one is following it.

Till next time,
Βρανδον Δρακε

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home