Israel
Anyway, I'm alone in the Arch. lab, lit by a single light. It casts a wierd glow on a goat skeleton that's staring at me right now. I mean really, how many people spend their holidays in a lab with a dead goat? On an entymological note, the word Tragedy stems from the word αιγοσ, tragedy actually means "goat song", the goat being loved by the 'Ελληνσ for it's *cough* potency.
Actually, I'm really just distracting myself. I think I need a distraction from life right now. Last week, that damn House resolution passed, dramatically slashing at student loans. Our beloved representative Cubin of Wyoming voted for it. At the same time the Senate added $60 billion in tax cuts. Effectively, students will be funding this tax cut for the wealthy, while New Orleans still lies in ruins. Fucking bastards. Anyway, if you've kept up with my infrequent blog posts, this also means that my efforts in collecting 10% of UW's student population's signatures on a petition was useless - once again, Cubin represents Republicans, not Wyoming. This feeling of futility caused me to reflect on life, and for reasons beyond me, Elodie was at the forefront. All weekend I couldn't stop thinking of her. It's been over a year since we last saw each other at the Cody airport, but losing her finally caught up to me. Losing a lot of things finally caught up to me.
I rifled through old photos from the Wyoming Dinosaur Center, and felt horrible. Oh - about that - as it turns out, after telling me that site WDC-TYA was no longer to be funded, they went ahead and funded it after I left. They had a grad student work out there all summer and find...
...nothing. They dug in under burden, i.e. beneath the site, for three months. All that talk about how horrible of an excavator I was (pulling 160+ bones in one season almost by myself), was thrown out with the rock at my old allosaur site. In fact, they did find a single bone, a cervical vertebra when widening their impotent pit. From what I hear, the curator was really mad, has all but fired those involved, and has offered me my old job back. I... I don't know what I'm going to do, I suppose press harder for Israel in the summer (as opposed to Israel in the winter), but I'm struck with indecision. It ties back to Elodie, how could I go back... when I look at everything including my over-reliance on Scott for judgement, I just want to cut my losses and run. And if I did go back, who would I be? I wouldn't be the same paleo-nut, I've moved on from that. I don't know what I want to do, or what I'm going to do. Perhaps I shouldn't confuse Elodie with the Dinosaur Center, it's easy, but two very, very different things that happen to live in the same place in my heart.
Maybe Israel will help me sort it all out... it's weird, the news hasn't hit me yet. I still can't comprehend receiving this honor. And I won't have the time with finals week comming up. In the time between, it'll be back to languages for me.
So, to conclude with some horrible mangled Greek:
Οι κρονοι πεπαιδευχω μοι, επει μοι, τισ εσμι? Εγο βουλω γνοσκοθειν μεν αρκηεολογιστον, αλλ' εγο βουλω γνοσκοθειν δε παλεοντολογιστ. Τισ εσμι?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home